The Flip Side: A Global Circus Story
This film screening with producer Tracy Zhang is presented in partnership with Cinema and Media Arts, AMPD (York), Sensorium, ask Labour Studies and YCAR.
Winner of “Best Short Documentary” at the DisOrient Asian American Film Festival.
Lauded as the epitome of the Canadian creative economy, contemporary circus in Quebec is both a government-supported art production and a global industry that relies on international markets and talents. In this documentary short, we meet Daqi, a Chinese circus artist who leaves home at age 9 to train at a state-run circus troupe, and Shana Carroll, a former San Francisco-based trapeze star and now the founding director of Montreal’s circus company, Les 7 Doigts. Daqi’s and Shana’s personal stories provide a window into a transnational circus world, where encounters of distinct acrobatic cultures and peoples can inspire personal growth, foster friendship, as well as induce a sense of alienation and distress.
The film was screened in the following film festivals:
- The Art of Brooklyn Film Festival 2018, New York City, USA
- Asian American International Film Festival 2018, New York City, USA
- Boston Asian American Film Festival 2018, Boston, USA
- DC Asian Pacific American Film Festival 2018, Washington, DC, USA
- DisOrient Asian American Film Festival 2018, Oregon, USA
- Seattle Asian American Film Festival 2018, Seattle, USA
- Thunder Bay Vox Popular Media Arts Festival 2018, Thunder Bay, Canada
On Facebook @thefilpsidedoc